[TUHS] Unix NCP protocol stack for ARPANET

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Oct 25 04:32:00 AEST 2021

There were definitely as many PDP-11's (most running UNIX) as there were
DEC 10s in the glory days of the Arpanet.   VAXes only rolled out toward
the end of the NCP era.

However, the last NCP host table shows this statistic for DEC machines
on the NCP Arpanet

VAX (UNIX):  58
VAX (VMS):  19

PDP11 (UNIX):  59
PDP11 (RSX): 6
PDP11 (MOS):  11
PDP11 (MINITS); 10

PDP10 (TOPS-20):  40
PDP10 (TOPS-10): 7
PDP10 (TENEX):   22
PDP10 (ITS):  4
PDP10 (WAITS): 3

I had all but forgotten about Local Host / Distant Host / Very Distant
Host 1822 protocols.    I remember that BRL had a PDP-11/40 running ANTS
(ArpaNet Terminal Server out of University of Illinois).   It got
replaced by an 11/34 running UNIX when the Arpanet went to long leaders
New Years 1981.