[TUHS] Unix NCP protocol stack for ARPANET

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 25 05:28:50 AEST 2021

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Ron Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> There were definitely as many PDP-11's (most running UNIX) as there were
> DEC 10s in the glory days of the Arpanet.   VAXes only rolled out toward
> the end of the NCP era.
>
> However, the last NCP host table shows this statistic for DEC machines on
> the NCP Arpanet
>
> VAX (UNIX):  58
> PDP11(UNIX): 59

So as of 1980-12-31, you had 7th Edition and 32V in the wild. 3BSD was late
1979 or early 1980. 4BSD was late 1980.
The Columbus Unix was also running on VAXen, but I don't have great dates
for that and most (all?) of those machines
were confined to internal AT&T.

I recall reading, but don't recall where I read it, that the Urbana
networking was ported to 7th Edition. I tried to find
such source, but couldn't 18 months ago. 32V is basically the same as 7th
Edition, so would make a good candidate
for such a port, though 3BSD isn't so radically different, except in buffer
mapping, that it couldn't run there w/o much
effort.  The VAX never had a V6 port that I've read about anywhere, though
I'll defer to others with better sources.

I'd bet some $$$ that BBN did the port, but I have no good source for that
either.

Warner