[TUHS] ATC/OSDI'21 joint keynote: It's Time for Operating Systems to Rediscover Hardware (Timothy Roscoe)

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Fri Sep 17 11:40:47 AEST 2021

Larry McVoy writes:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 06:10:11PM -0700, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> > Was discussing this with someone the other day.  I'm glad that I have an
> > engineering degree instead of a computer science degree.
>
> I have and BS and MS in computer science, with most of a minor in
> systems arch from the EE department (but not all, I did it for fun,
> I should have finished it).
>
> That said, when people ask me what I am, I say I'm an engineer.  And
> proud of it, I love being an engineer, to me it just means you are
> someone who figures stuff out.

I'm the opposite.  Would have double-majored in EE and CS but my school
wouldn't allow double majoring unless you stayed for 9 semesters.  I
finished my EE in 7 semesters and was 2 classes shy of the CS degree
and couldn't justify another year just for 2 classes.  In hindsight
I'm not sure that that was the correct choice because I would have
partied my ass off.