[TUHS] mainframe $ budgets [was Re: Re: SNOBOL and RATSNO

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Wed Aug 10 06:43:06 AEST 2022

Early on in my career at IBM Yorktown, ca. 1976, I was submitting many
long running simulation jobs to the 360/91 there. At one point, the head
of computer systems (I.T. if you will) wrote to the head of computer
sciences (my department) complaining that I had just spent $50K over
some short period, asking if this was justified. My management shrugged
it off, encouraged me to continue what I was doing. I might still have
the letter somewhere.

A couple of years later, while on the faculty at U.T. Austin, one of the
main budgetary items in research grant proposals was purchase of
mini-computers, assuming those were a more efficient use of funds than
paying for time at the campus computing center (then using CDC 6600 and
successors).

COFF?

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com