[TUHS] mainframe $ budgets [was Re: Re: SNOBOL and RATSNO

Marc Donner marc.donner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 06:58:49 AEST 2022

LOL

I joined IBM Research in Yorktown in 1978.  I was an electrical engineer
and one of the first problems I was given was modeling a novel concept for
an X-Y touch panel.  I realized that the model is basically solving
Laplace's equation in the plane.  I was not a programmer at the time, so I
asked what was the recommended thing for that.  I was told APL, so I
grabbed a manual and got to work.

Within a day or two I had a nice solver working and was getting useful
results.

(Of course, solving Laplace in the plane by relaxation is the slowest
possible way to get to the answer, but I didn't know much about numerical
methods back in those days.)

The next week I got a visit from the same IT weenies who had bothered you.
They told me that in my first week on the job I had managed to be the
biggest consumer of CPU cycles on the 370/168 and that I had to learn to
program in PL/I because compiled was better than interpreted.  It took me
several weeks to get it working, since PL/I was such a pain in the neck and
I had to learn all sorts of stuff about how numbers were represented in the
hardware.

Obviously my time was worth less than the computer's.

Bleh.
=====
nygeek.net
mindthegapdialogs.com/home <https://www.mindthegapdialogs.com/home>