[TUHS] Documents for UNIX Collections

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Fri Aug 12 16:41:29 AEST 2022

segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> - This documentation refers to the last version as System III rather than
>   making any mention of 4.0.

This is because 4.0 was never released outside the Bell System. When I
did contract programming at Southern Bell, they told me that the practice
was to publicly release one version behind what was running internally;
thus System III was released when they were running 4.0 in the Bell System.

They changed their minds when it came to System V, deciding to release
the current internal version publicly as well.

I also suspect that the System V doc drops all mention of IBM S/370
support for Unix.

HTH,

Arnold