[TUHS] Nice video with Brian Kernighan

Mohamed Akram mohd.akram at outlook.com
Sun Aug 21 19:36:03 AEST 2022

Hi folks,

This is my first time posting on this list, it’s been such a joy to read about so many little-known yet enduring and consequential aspects of UNIX. I had written a short post [1] about the calendar utility some time ago, with a brief glimpse at its history. Seeing its implementation, it certainly made me scratch my head a bit - who would think to create a program whose sole purpose was to dynamically generate a regular expression that would then be fed into another program (it doesn’t stop there either, as my post goes into). I found it to be perhaps the most illustrative and comprehensive example of UNIX composition that I had come across. Unbeknownst to me that it was Douglas McIlroy who had written this program, which in hindsight should not come as a surprise at all, him being the exemplar of composing simple, orthogonal, yet robust tools to get a job done quickly and efficiently.

Thank you Doug for your reply, I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the origins and history of the calendar program. That it was the impetus to turn egrep into the performant and viable tool that we know today further colors the picture of this unassuming utility.

[1] https://akr.am/blog/posts/today-in-history-brought-to-you-by-unix

Regards,
Mohamed