[TUHS] Extracting files from various old dump/restore tapes

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Aug 23 01:35:38 AEST 2022

Hello,

I have on my hands many images of tapes that seems to have been written
by various implementaions of dump.  I see the magic numbers 60011 and
60012 in little and big endian at offsets 18 (16-bit version?) and 24
(32-bit version?).  I don't know the dating of the tapes, but around
1980 would be a reasonable guess.

Are there some easy to use (ready to run on a modern Unix) tools to
extract files from such tape files?

I'm not looking to restore a file system on disk, just extract the
files.