[TUHS] Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Dec 12 06:03:27 AEST 2022

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 06:55:31AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022, Michael Kj??rling wrote:
>
> > By definition, if you write code as cleverly as you can, then you aren't
> > clever enough to debug it...
>
> Indeed...
>
> I've always used the maxim "Write code as though the next person to
> maintain it is an axe-wielding psychopath who knows where you live".

My main job, for the 20 years until I retired, was to keep telling
people that code that you wrote 6 months ago might as well have been
written by someone else.  Optimize for reading the code, not writing
the code.  It's read many.

99.9% of the time, I detest clever code.  .1% of the time, I need it.
The problem is that smart engineers adore writing clever code.  They
usually, eventually, wise up.