[TUHS] Clever code [ really PB 250 ]

Douglas McIlroy douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu
Wed Dec 14 08:49:40 AEST 2022

That would be Claude Kagan. A bunch of kids called the
R.E.S.I.S.T.O.R.S met there regularly to play with the computers.
Claude, who worked for Western Electric, implemented a version of
Calvin Mooers's TRAC macroprocessor. Mooers sued for infringing the
copyright on a journal article. AT&T settled, out of fear of the
consequences of an (unlikely) win for Mooers. The issue remained in
the air until a Supreme Court case (Google v Oracle) about a year ago,
which fortunately came down against copyrights on  software
interfaces.

Doug