[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:12:06 AEST 2022

I mean all I really want for Christmas is a 64-bit v7 with TCP/IP support, a screen editor, and SMP support.

The third one is a solved problem.  The second one would not be that hard to adapt, say, uIP 0.9, to v7.  That first one would require some work with C type sizes, but getting larger is easier than the reverse.  It's that last one.

Having said that...maybe what I really want is 64-bit 4.3 BSD?

I mean, just a Unix, without all the cruft of a modern Linux, but which can actually take advantage of the resources of a modern machine.  I don't care about a desktop, or even a graphical environment, I don't care about all the strange syscalls that are there to support particular databases, I don't care much about being a virtualization host.