[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed Dec 21 01:29:21 AEST 2022

On Tuesday, December 20, 2022, Adam Thornton <athornton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean, just a Unix, without all the cruft of a modern Linux, but which
> can actually take advantage of the resources of a modern machine.  I don't
> care about a desktop, or even a graphical environment, I don't care about
> all the strange syscalls that are there to support particular databases, I
> don't care much about being a virtualization host.

But then...what would the purpose of such a system? A mini-Unix just to run
vi(1) or text based game? If you want to run retro games there are much
better retro platforms for that, e.g. I do not need a Unix machine if I
want to run MS-DOS era games. I prefer period correct hardware and software.

If you want a modern Unix for production systems, then most of the real
world modern workloads are run in Kubernetes which is a very Linux
orientated technology anyway.

It appears to me there is really no need for such a modern mini-Unix system
outside of hard core O/S theorists community.

There are already a myriad of similar projects like Alan Cox's Fuzix OS
which can run e.g. on Amiga, but it will not play Centurion or Another
World anytime soon anyway.

--Andy