[TUHS] more about Brian...

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Feb 5 04:54:14 AEST 2022

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 3:20 AM Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co> wrote:

> > Garbage collector is cool but actually it prevents you from writing
> > kernel or performance critical code, e.g. games.

I'm sure kernels with GC are on their way.  I think they already exist in
research contexts.  As for games, the problem seems to be that the market
will not pay enough for hardware to do a good job. so the attitude is "So
what if it crashes, it's just a dumb game."

The last C program I worked on was an interpreter for the Joy language.  It
had a precise GC for objects, but strings were a mess.  I added libgc and
ripped out all the half-assed solutions.  If I had to write C today, I'd
write it with libgc.