[TUHS] v7 source code for sh

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Mon Feb 21 07:19:30 AEST 2022

On 2/20/22 4:02 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:

>> It always seemed like it would have been just the thing to implement as a
>> tty streams module, but research Unix went in a different direction.
>
> Not really.  You want history files, I have one for each tty.  Telling
> the tty driver to write to this inode seems sort of weird.  I guess you
> could make it work, but to me, this screams libc or libhistory or
> something like that.

History maybe, but most folks seem to want editing more, and just that
incremental improvement would have made a difference.

> I agree it shouldn't be in each app that wants
> it but isn't that what libraries are for?

That's why readline is a library, with application-specific hooks
available, and relies on something like rlwrap if you want to use editing
and history with an unmodified application.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/