[TUHS] run commands at login in v6 and stty

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Feb 27 10:46:49 AEST 2022

Yes. Thanks.  I do remember it in 6 and the hack in cc to run it or not(it
took years for me to break the habit of starting a C program with a #) but
what I don’t remember was it in v5 - which we only ran briefly (I
personally never saw V4 either although I know Columbia and I believe
Harvard had it)

Clem

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 6:12 PM Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cpp was definitely in v6, and I'm pretty sure it was in earlier editions.
> The first pass of the C compiler would invoke it if the first byte of the
> source file was a '#'. However, the early version only did #define and
> #include. It was rewritten for v7, I believe, introducing the catastrophe
> of #ifdef, while the existential horror of #if was later still, foisted on
> us by someone not in Research.
>
> -rob
>

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 9:53 AM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>

>> Some thoughts ..
>>
>> 1.) the precursor to the csh is the newshell in {1}BSD.  It's Joy's hack
>> to the Thompson shell and you might find it more usable.
>> 2.) PWB 1.0 is based on a V6 kernel and has the Mashey Shell, which is in
>> C and predates Bourne's  It might also be easier for you to use.
>> 3.) srb wrote his shell during the transition between V6, TS and V7.   At
>> least one version ran on the V6++ system we had at CMU, but of course as
>> pointed out, it is written in Bourne-Gol. And I'm pretty sure his CPP
>> definitions will need at least a gen2 /lib/cpp implementation***  However,
>> Steve was also doing it at the time when the compiler was being updated.
>> FWIW: We also had the 'Typesetter C' running on our V6 system in those
>> days.  So my >>guess<< is that v6 + Typesetter C - will compile the V7
>> shell.
>>
>> Clem
>>

>> *** Rob or Steve Johnson - maybe remembers when cpp first appeared.  I
>> don't remember if it was part of V5 or not - those bits have faded from my
>> brain.  What I do remember is there were a couple of different cpp's early
>> on.  The first one was pretty crude by today's standards, albeit it was a
>> cool idea and it was the one thing I really liked about C over BLISS early
>> on [BLISS had Macros, which was cool aalso, but cpp could do things Bliss
>> could not].
>>
> --
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual