[TUHS] Thoughts on Licenses

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Jul 4 00:59:24 AEST 2022

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 10:39 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Has anyone ported v7 to any of these devices and seen it take off?

I agree with your observation BTW, but I will point out that every server
based on Intel Si runs a V7 flavor called Minux in the IPMI node.

WRT to Licenses - it does matter for a practical purpose.  As Larry points
out no one cares ... (until they do).

Without going into specifics (this is a real example BTW), let's take a
famous Science and Technology Museum in the EU that wants to use simh to
put up a demo of traditional computing (in this case it's different from
but let's say - using a PiDP-8 or PiDP-11 like display), they would like to
know that it's a legitimate thing to do so.

Lawyers are unlikely to look at the file called Metadata -- as I said, just
last week, I would be easily able to point some of them to the top of
Warren's tree for the Caldera license.   The more licenses we have together
in one place will make folks like that a lot more comfortable with
proceeding.   Again keeping the specific licenses with each release is
probably a good thing (I would suggest links the master copy), just make it
100% clear we are *trying to do the right thing*.
ᐧ