[TUHS] Thoughts on Licenses

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Mon Jul 4 01:30:53 AEST 2022

On Jul 3, 2022, at 9:59 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> I agree with your observation BTW, but I will point out that every server based on Intel Si runs a V7 flavor called Minux in the IPMI node.

You may be thinking of MINIX 1. It was a from-scratch implementation that was syscall compatible with V7 but IIRC it didn't have any sort of memory protection as it was designed to run on 8088. What runs on the Intel Management Engine is MINIX 3, a µkernel design with NetBSD userland. As Prof. Tanenbaum said, "MINIX 1 and MINIX 3 are related in the same way as Windows 3.1 and Windows XP are: same first name".