[TUHS] Line Numbers Before SysIII nl? BSD num?

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Thu Jul 28 11:03:35 AEST 2022

> Anyway, I have got Phil Budne's implementation

C'est moi!  SNOBOL came out of Bell Labs in Holmdel NJ.
There was a SNOBOL3 implementation in Unix 6th Edition days called "sno".

As far as I know Macro SNOBOL4 (that my CSNOBOL4 is a port of) never
was ported to the PDP-11 (just not enough address space), but there
was a proposal (at least) for a SNOBOL4 implementation for the '11
called ELFBOL.

Macro SPITBOL (a faster implementation of SNOBOL4) was available on
the Research Unix VAXen (Andrew Koenig did a C-like preprocessor
called SNOCONE -- SNOBOL with some sugar).

Phil