[TUHS] SNOBOL and RATSNO

William H. Mitchell whm at msweng.com
Thu Jul 28 14:13:04 AEST 2022

If memory serves, Ralph Griswold once told me that the four versions of SNOBOL, culminating with SNOBOL4, took, respectively, a day, a week, a month, and year to implement.

Related to SNOBOL, something I’ve wondered about for years is whether I may have been the only regular user of RATSNO, which Dave Hanson created as a test of RATFOR’s retargetability.  I stumbled across RATSNO on the Icon V2 tape, and used it for quite a bit of my undergraduate programming at NC State in 1980-81.

Phil Budne: Thanks for your CSNOBOL4 implementation!  I’ve used it to show students SNOBOL4 in a comparative languages class at the U of Arizona.  (I was thinking your name sounded familiar!)