[TUHS] Old screen editors

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Tue Mar 29 10:53:54 AEST 2022

Aaah, just what we need, an editor discussion.

My first hands on experience was with PC/IX on an XT. ISC provided INed,
which I was told was based on the Rand Editor. INed was a gentle
transition from using XEDIT on VM/370, so I was comfortable with INed.

But one of my Unix mentors persuaded me to use vi, and that has been my
preferred editor since roughly 1985, assuming you count Vim as vi, since
I mostly use Vim on Linux, Windows and macOS, only occasionally using
real vi.

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/