[TUHS] Old screen editors

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Mar 30 15:36:29 AEST 2022

Noel Chiappa writes:
> historical aside: at one point there was a whole 'Ivory' package for
> ITS TECO which could 'purify' ITS TECO code so that one copy in core
> [actual, real core!] could be shared by multiple processes.

There still is an Ivory package, and it's used by a few EMACS libraries.

> That was used to write an EMACS-like package for the PDP-11 UNIX TECO
> (but much simpler than real EMACS), which we used for quite a while
> before Montgomery EMACS for UNIX showed up.

ObUnix.  Montgomery EMACS now shows up again, thanks to Noel.  I put a
copy here, which also references the origin:

https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/tree/sources/ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/%7Ejnc/tech/unix/emacs

Montgomery wrote about the history behind his editor:

https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/blob/sources/docs/Montgomery%20Emacs%20History.txt