[TUHS] First Unix-like OSes not derived from AT&T code?

Kenneth Goodwin kennethgoodwin56 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 00:03:25 AEST 2022

One of the reasons that Mark Williams attracted the attention of AT&T
lawyers was because they actually engaged former members of the Bell Labs
UNIX research group
who had prior access to ATT research source code to work on pieces of their
system.
THE BIG RED FLAG....

However, everyone at MW was painfully aware of the IP lawsuit potential in
what they were doing. So they took great pains to avoid that occuring.

I believe they could read the MAN page and any supporting documents, But
they had to write everything from scratch.

This is from a USENIX conference dialog with a mutual friend who passed
through MW on his way west to fame and fortune.

I believe a version of Coherent resides at Sourceforge in the operating
systems archives.