[TUHS] First Unix-like OSes not derived from AT&T code?

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Wed May 11 04:05:43 AEST 2022

I mostly defer to Heinz and Clem regarding PC/IX. It is hard to imagine
the IBM people in Boca Raton allowing the Chaplin imagery to be used
with a secondary product like PC/IX, but I don't remember the packaging.

PC/IX was my first hands on experience with Unix. PC/IX was used
extensively in the AIX development group while ROMP hardware was scarce.

Before I got my own RT/PC, I used PC/IX primarily, until I got a PC/AT
and started using some instance of Xenix that supported the 286 MMU.

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/Twitter: CharlesHSauer