[TUHS] Armando plate

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:51:48 AEST 2022

On 5/11/22, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
> I did not realize Shannon must have had it first.  Armando had it on his
> Nisson and he passed it to John Hall (Maddog) when he moved.   Somewhere I
> have a picture of Armando’s car and my then Black Jetta with the MA plate
> together.

I left grad school to join DEC as a software engineer in 1980, working
on software development tools for VAX/VMS.  Back in 1978 I'd interned
at one of the VAX-11/780 beta test sites.  The group I was in was
based at DEC's Mill facility in Maynard MA but was slated to move in a
few months to the new software engineering facility on Spit Brook Road
in Nashua, NH.  So I got an apartment in Nashua and commuted to
Maynard for a while.  When I registered my car I got the VAXVMS vanity
license plate.  When the VMS OS group moved to Nashua from Tewksbury
they wondered who had the VAXVMS plates.

Armando had the New Hampshire UNIX plates on his spiffy red Datsun
(they weren't Nissan yet) sports car.  My car was an old, rusted-out
Datsun B210.  Armando jokingly threatened to park his car next to mine
and photograph UNIX and VAXVMS side-by-side.

-Paul W.