[TUHS] Document management in Unix, back in the day?

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Fri May 13 11:52:24 AEST 2022

heading off-piste, the Boox series are also worth looking at. Android,
anything android can do, a boox will do slowly in eInk. their version
of the reMarkable markup thing may not be as "good" but its the
alternate, and alternate pricepoint.

when I think about the BSD manuals, bound with steel rods, in a metal
construct welded to the desk at the back of the lab. Wonderful source
of knowledge. Or.. the VMS fiche set, and the reader. you want to fix
this problem? ok, if you learn Bliss32, then everything is in this
stack of blue-grey plastic, if your eyes are good enough. No peeking.

I think the experiential aspects of 2D thinking with pens, on paper
are lost online. I totally don't engage with "visualisations" beyond
the very very good. It is very easy to avoid having to say why by
falling back on "my eyes aren't good" or "I don't understand this" but
in truth, I dont LIKE them. I like paper, and I miss fanfold printout.
Plus. I liked taking the boxes of it to kindergarden and handing them
over for the kids to write on.