[TUHS] Early Unix and Keyboard Skills

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:26:35 AEST 2022

When I was in high school (in the early sixties) I tried to sign up for
typing, which was taught on manual typewriters. I was told that the class
was for girls only, and I was turned away. I never did develop good typing
skills. I'm pretty much a two-fingered typist. Ironically, I have probably
done more typing than 90% of the female classmates who were allowed to take
the class.

Precision figured mightily in those days, which may also have pre-dated
white-out. Eliminating an error was a big deal. Now it's dead easy, and
auto-correct has already fixed several errors in this message.