[TUHS] vi in cooked mode?

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sat Nov 5 09:42:15 AEST 2022

On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 06:33:34PM +0000, Ron Natalie wrote:

> > v6 vs v7 PDP-11 vs Vax much less vi vs emacs.
>
> Amusingly, as weith many of us, I got my start with "ed."   I never actually
> learned vi.   By the time I was ready to move up to screen editors, the
> emacs-ish things were available to me.

Yeah, same here, although my start was with the editor that came with
the PDP-8 disk operating system (using an ASR-35), the PDP-15's
foreground/background system (using a KSR-33), and the PDP-11's RT-11
running under TSX-plus (using VT-100's and DECwriter for the
console).

So when I finally got a chance to use Unix when I got to college,
/bin/ed was so similar to the line oriented editors I had used on the
various Digital systems I had a chance to use while growing up and in
high school, I never bothered to use vi.  It was either ed or emacs,
depending on how loaded the time-sharing systems I was using my
freshman year.  Of course, once I had a chance to use a Vaxstation or
the IBM PC/RT all to myself, I jumped over to emacs and never looked
back --- except when I was recovering a system in single user mode, of
course.

						- Ted