[TUHS] Re.: Princeton's "Unix: An Oral History": who was in the team in "The Attic"?

Joseph Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Tue Nov 29 17:31:15 AEST 2022

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022, at 23:59, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it is (used to be?) a common pattern.
>
> Clearly, the metric in both cases should have been the absolute
> value of the number of lines of code changed...
>
> Both stories are rather sad; one hopes that today's world is
> a better place.

I do hope the anecdotes of twitter’s firings based on LoC end up being mistaken.

But I’m also reading Machiavelli’s Discourses on Livy while catching up on TUHS, I’m not sure I believe in better places any more.

And it reminds me of the Pascal quote, “I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter.” https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/

--
Joseph Holsten