[TUHS] Attempting To Build NOSC and BBN UNIXs + ARPANET code

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Oct 12 05:58:41 AEST 2022

Tom Perrine wrote:
> A specific example of the VDH interface was the IMP at NOSC.
>
> IIRC it had 4 ports?

Normally yes (depending on the hardware configuration).

> One was a local connection to the machine at NOSC in the same room/building.
> One was a VDH to UCSD
> One was a VDH to LOGICON - the connection at the LOGICON end was a "56K
> wideband modem", which was a little larger than a 2-drawer file cabinet. I
> also seem to recall that the power supply had tubes.
> Not sure where the 4th port went - I only saw the UCSD and LOGICON ends in
> person.

Maybe this information for IMP 3 and 35 from 1979 can jog your memory.

HOST NOSC-SECURE2,      0/35,USER,TENEX,PDP10,[USC-ISIR1,ISIR1]
HOST LOGICON,           1/35,USER,UNIX,PDP11
HOST ACCAT-TIP,         2/35,USER,TIP,H316,[NELC-TIP]
HOST NOSC-SECURE3,      3/35,USER,UNIX,PDP11
HOST NOSC-CC,           0/3,SERVER,,UNIVAC-1110,[NUC-CC,NOSC-ELF]
HOST NOSC-SECURE1,      1/3,SERVER,UNIX,PDP11,[NUC-SECURE]
HOST NOSC-SDL,          2/3,SERVER,UNIX,PDP11,[NELC-ELF,NELC]
HOST NWC,               3/3,SERVER,EXEC-8,UNIVAC-1110
HOST NPRDC-11,          4/3,SERVER,UNIX,PDP11