[TUHS] DMD 5620 simulator

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Sep 14 17:48:17 AEST 2022

Joseph Holsten wrote:
> I was wondering why you’d pick this term of all historical terms to
> emulate. Now I have a terrible urge to try my hand at an ADM-3A.

Please do!  There is a suite of terminal emulators that try to use the
original font and render the display somewhat pleasingly.  It includes
VT05, VT50, VT52, DataPoint 3300, and a few more.  Arguably it's mostly
eye candy, but I'd say it adds a little retro flair to the experience.

In a similar vein, I have written terminal simulators that run the
original VT100 and VT52 firmware and try to render the video output in
real time.

> Which just reminds me of this teletype 33 ad:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Teletype_Model_33_Terminal_June_1974.jpg

I have long maintained we need a good teletype emulator... nay,
simulator.  Think physics engine.