[TUHS] "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS topic?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Sep 17 03:04:08 AEST 2022

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022, Matthias Bruestle wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 08:17:32
> From: Matthias Bruestle <m at mbsks.franken.de>
> To: TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org>
> Subject: [TUHS] Re: "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS
>     topic?
>
> I know something!
>
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 04:05:30PM +0300, Ori Idan wrote:
>>> o why CTRL/S and CTRL/Q are used for flow control in a shell command
>>> line session
>>>
>> Also would be happy to know.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_flow_control
>
> But I don't know the answer to Ctrl-D. :( And also the bus error
> and maybe the segmentation fault if it hasn't to do with a segment
> register.

^D = ASCII EOT

ASCII trick, check the ascii(7) manpage, look at the octal set.  For any
CTRL-<letter>, drop the high bit and look at that entry.

   D -> 104
EOT -> 004 (End of Transmission)

   S -> 123
DC3 -> 024 (Teletypes used this as XOFF)

   Q -> 121
DC1 -> 021 (Teletypes used this as XON)

No one asked about these, but my favorites:

   @ -> 100
NUL -> 000

   [ -> 133
esc -> 033 (ASCII esc)