[TUHS] UNIX Manual Cover Art Origins?

Douglas McIlroy douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu
Thu Apr 20 06:11:17 AEST 2023

> Does anyone know of any of the tools, formats, practices, etc. used in producing the actual graphical covers of various published UNIX manuals?

The Bell Labs publication department at Whippany did the physical
design for the bound versions of the Research Unix manual--from v7 as
a trade brook through v10, also a trade book.. They did the cover
designs for v8-v10 in house. I am not sure whether they did the v7
cover, farmed it out, or left it up to Holt Rinehart. Whippany handled
the printing of v8 and v9. Saunders College Publishing did it for v10.

Unfortunately, I do not remember whom I dealt with in Whippany, and my
records of the interactions are long gone.

Doug