[TUHS] emacs

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 10:04:44 AEST 2023

As a longtime user and lover of ed/ex/vi, I don't know much about emacs,
but lately I've been using it more (as it seems like any self-respecting
lisper, has to at least have a passing acquaintance with it). I recently
went off and got MACLISP running in ITS. As part of that exploration, I
used EMACS, but not just any old emacs, emacs in it's first incarnation
as a set of TECO macros. To me, it just seemed like EMACS. I won't bore
you with the details - imagine lots of control and escape sequences,
many of which are the same today as then. This was late 70's stuff.

My question for the group is - when did emacs arrive in unix and was it
a full fledged text editor when it came or was it sitting on top of some
other subssystem in unix? Was TECO ever on unix?

Will