[TUHS] when did v8 or later get networking?

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Sun Aug 13 04:00:21 AEST 2023

> On Aug 12, 2023, at 5:05 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> From: Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl>
>
>> a token ring driver (written by Noel Chiappa, if I remember well).
>
> No (unless they took one I wrote for the V6 machine and adapted it); I never
> did anything on any Unix after V6 (I think there's nothing of any significant
> interest in any later Unix).
>
> Anyway, writing a driver for that board would be about as much work as
> writing a driver for an RK11 controller - i.e. a day or so for someone
> competent.
>
> 	Noel

Found it: it is the Proteon driver on BBN tape 2. The file has the following comment at the top:

/*
 * Proteon VII Local Net Interface Driver
 * (adapted from Noel Chiappa's V6 driver and ACC driver by Rob Gurwitz, BBN)
 *
 * NB. Make sure definition of VII_CONF is correct for configuration of ring,
 *     i.e., VII_HEN for use with wire center, VII_STE for use without.
 */

So yes, they indeed took one you wrote for the V6 machine and adapted it.