[TUHS] V8 Streams // was Re: when did v8 or later get networking?

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Fri Aug 11 19:50:59 AEST 2023

> Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
> Thu Aug 10 12:45:54 AEST 2023
> wrote:
>
> Yea, I thought it was 4.1bsd + later tcp code but with a STREAMS instead of
> Socket interface...

Please see this old TUHS post for some more background in DMR’s own words:

https://www.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2019-August/018325.html

On the topic of DMR Streams, I’m increasingly intrigued by its design: recently I’ve been deep diving into classic USB to better understand this class of devices and how to drive them (https://gitlab.com/pnru/usb_host). It would seem to me that Streams would have been a neat way to organise the USB driver stack in a v8 context. Note that an USB analog did exist in 1982: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex-Bus

Sometimes I wonder what combining v8 streams with v8 virtual directories (i.e. like Killian’s /proc) could have looked like. Having the streams network stack (or usb stack) exposed as virtual directories would have been quite powerful.