[TUHS] John Warnock [1940--2023]

Pete Wright via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Tue Aug 22 09:49:27 AEST 2023

On 8/21/23 14:24, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> [This posting was sent earlier today to some local lists, but may also
> be of interest to TUHS members.]
>
> The UofUtah lost one its significant alumni, John Warnock, on Saturday.
>
> John received Bachelor's and Master's degrees from the Department of
> Mathematics, and his doctoral degree from the Department of Electrical
> Engineering.
>
> After jobs at Evans & Sutherland in Salt Lake City, and Xerox PARC
> labs in Palo Alto, CA, he later went on to co-found Adobe Systems with
> Chuck Geschke (1939--2021), and the PostScript, PDF, and font
> technologies, and many others, that came from their company changed
> the publishing model of the entire world.

Wow I never realized the work he did with the Warnock algorithm, as in I
was familiar with similar approaches to rendering in film and video
(tiling and stitching frames together in renderman for example) - but
was never made aware that those approaches probably stemmed from his phd
thesis.

I feel like a lot of modern data processing pipelines could learn a
thing or two from this approach.

Thanks for sharing...

-pete

--