[TUHS] Emacs on v7

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 09:26:25 AEST 2023

I finally got an Emacs running on v7--it's on misspiggy at LCML now as "ue".

It's Microemacs 3.6; what I did was to clone
https://github.com/troglobit/MicroEMACS and check out the first commit.

Some experimentation later, it had the usual problem with v7 and DEC
linkers that not all the function names (er, more generally exported
symbols, but in this case, function names) were unique in the first 7
characters (which is 6 if you're working with DEC OSes).  So a bit of sed
later and I had something that built, linked, and appears to run with
TERM=vt100 set.

Arrow keys, naturally, don't work, but C-b, C-f, C-p, C-n do.

I think I'm going to just make a GH repo of it, but I'm happy to send the
tarball, or tar.uue, upon request.  I find UUCP kinda fragile on my simh
installation, and I don't know how to get to Miss Piggy's (although the
uucp commands are there), so, well, uuencoding, a pasteboard buffer,
iTerm2's "Paste Slowly", and cat will work as a file transfer mechanism.

Adam