[TUHS] Proper use of TUHS (was Re: Typesetter C compiler)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Feb 3 08:41:36 AEST 2023

On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 05:36:44PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 2:02 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> > [snip] I don't
> > have the energy to look through the tons of opinion posts about recent
> > programming styles, to find the posts about actual Unix history which related
> > to that compiler,
> > [snip]
>
> On a semi-related note....
>
> I have found TUHS a valuable resource, not just for discussing Unix
> history, but for gaining a deeper understanding of systems which
> informs my present and that I imagine will influence my future work as
> well.
>
> However, lately it has become clear that this is not always a welcome
> use of the list. I don't think COFF is universally appropriate for
> that either.

COFF lacks critical mass.  It's a common problem, you have a mailing list
with enough people that it is interesting and it gets too noisy so the
admin creates a more chatty list and only a small subset of the people
pick that up.  I don't know how to fix that.

> So, the question becomes: what _is_ that forum, if such a thing exists at all?

Well, Hacker News was supposed to be really system-y.  I tried it for a while,
there was some good stuff there but it was drowned out by wannabe hackers
talking about trivial stuff as if it were interesting.  So I gave up.

If you find a Unix/Systems sort of forum, that actually has something to
say, let us know.
--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat