[TUHS] Proper use of TUHS (was Re: Typesetter C compiler)

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Sat Feb 4 03:45:59 AEST 2023

On Feb 3, 2023, at 8:41 AM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> But TUHS is clearly meant to be a Unix history list, not a "list about
> new systems where we can ask about history because that helps us build
> those new systems". In that sense, I'm not looking for COFF or a retro
> or classic computer list, either, but for something explicitly modern
> yet informed by history.
>
> I don't believe such a thing actually exists.

I’m not aware of one. May be comp.arch comes close. Any new list
will have difficulty attracting the right kind of people. TUHS, COFF are
rather unix oriented. If you mean *software systems*, I suspect the
field is still too green to have a proper systematic analysis or
established engineering principles. We still seem to be in the “Cambrian
explosion” phase where every new complex system is a new species.