[TUHS] history of community help for unix users everywhere

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Feb 9 05:39:05 AEST 2023

At least as far as I can glean from manuals, there is the "trouble" command circa UNIX/TS 4.0 which was "a front end for the Piscataway Change Management Tracking System (CMTS)".

This was used to report issues over uucp to Piscataway where they would then be transformed into Modification Requests, examples of which in the form of the request form *and* a list of 1980-1983 changes are in Sys V literature I've scanned.

The utility would request:
- The user name
- Their location
- Phone number
- Type of request: Hardware, software, documentation, enhancement, and unknown
- System: Product in need of support (usually unix)
- Release (can be N/A)
- Severity: 1 - highest 4 - lowest
- Date
- Abstract/Summary
- Detailed Description

There is a note here too that unless stated otherwise, reports may be selected for publication in the "Mini-System Newsletter".

I've never heard of this Mini-System Newsletter. It sounds like among other things it had a digest of significant trouble reports to notify the network of known issues.

The UNIX System Error Message Manual refers to two "Support Organizations" in the Bell system:

- Field service representatives that support the hardware
- Local software support and "UNIX System Customer Service"

The manual goes on to mention the preferred group for many of the errors encounterable

I suppose this means there was usually a local guru pertinent to the type of machinery (PDP, VAX, 3B-20) and then maybe some local software folks and then the man support group.

Looks like for BTL-specific extensions, Division 452 was point of contact on that one. In the notes for the Release 5.0 manuals (troff comments) Lab

The System V modification request form lists "UNIX System Support Center" in Lisle, Illinois as the point of contact for these forms.

The 4.0 documentation roadmap mentions getting documentation resources from the Computer Information Service Library.

The 5.0 BTL-specific manual has a second trouble page listing "UNIX Computer Center Support" instead of Piscataway as the recipient of trouble reports.

In the same manual is also "wwbmail", an application that would send help requests directly to the "Writers Workbench" group. I haven't checked this manual exhaustively yet so there could be other nuggets in there.

Of course, going back in the history of UNIX, in the early days, man pages listed the application author/maintainer with the implication they should be directly contacted with questions. This changed in V3 I think, which is around the time SCCS would've been playing around with what would become CB-UNIX. I dunno when USG and the PWB groups first formally start to tinker on things, but I recall reading around 1973 being a likely backstop. I assume USG handled a lot of this traffic until the 80s and the formalization of a bunch of these other groups.

So all in all from various manuals, this is the picture I can glean from early 80s:

Support Groups:

- USG Proper
- UNIX System Customer Service
- UNIX System Support Center
- UNIX Computer Center Support
- Piscataway (USG? PWB?)
- WWB Direct Mailing List

Documentation:

- Computer Information Service Library

- Might be the same group but there is a trifold (I can't find right now) that lists the User's Manual along with the two falling blocks guides circa UNIX/TS 4.0 that could be requested from some doc group
- Various labs and divisions that maintained their own manual versions

- Mini-System Newsletter

Granted, this is all based on manuals, doesn't consider any activities of USENIX or what BSD folks were doing for their help and support. Hopefully I haven't misrepresented anything, happy to illuminate any references that may be dubious.

- Matt G.