[TUHS] history of community help for unix users everywhere

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:56:17 AEST 2023

On 2/8/23 1:39 PM, segaloco wrote:
> At least as far as I can glean from manuals, there is the "trouble"
> command circa UNIX/TS 4.0 which was "a front end for the Piscataway
> Change Management Tracking System (CMTS)".
>
> This was used to report issues over uucp to Piscataway where they
> would then be transformed into Modification Requests, examples of
> which in the form of the request form *and* a list of 1980-1983
> changes are in Sys V literature I've scanned.
>
> The utility would request:
> - The user name
> - Their location
> - Phone number
> - Type of request: Hardware, software, documentation, enhancement, and
> unknown
> - System: Product in need of support (usually unix)
> - Release (can be N/A)
> - Severity: 1 - highest 4 - lowest
> - Date
> - Abstract/Summary
> - Detailed Description
>
> There is a note here too that unless stated otherwise, reports may be
> selected for publication in the "Mini-System Newsletter".

Fascinating. Thanks for the details. I did a quick search in the source
archive and all I could find were these:

    NetBSD-5.0.2/external/bsd/openldap/dist/doc/guide/admin/troubleshooting.sdf
    OpenBSD-4.6/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/gcc/doc/trouble.texi
    OpenBSD-4.6/usr.bin/sudo/TROUBLESHOOTING
    V10/cmd/icon/docs/trouble.roff
    pdp11v/usr/man/a_man/man8/trouble.8
    pdp11v/usr/man/u_man/man1/trouble.1

Anybody know what pdp11v is? or where the source code for the utility
is? Did it send email, or what?

Thanks,
Will