[TUHS] project athena (was Re: Setting up an X Development Environment for Mac OS)

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:51:15 AEST 2023

On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 09:12:28AM +1100, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> Before the PC/RT machines and AOS, there was also an attempt at PC/XT
> machines with Genix running on a add-in card.

It's possible that there were some IBM'ers at MIT Building E40 (where
Project Athena was headquartered) that were playing with a PC/XT with
a co-processor board, but as far as I know that was never deployed in
the field --- at least, I never saw them.  The only I saw were PC/AT's
(that is, the ones with the '286 CPU) that ran DOS and which were
essentially used only to telnet to the Vax 750's (or supdup to the MIT
AI / LCS lab machines, but most undergraduates didn't have access to
those computers; connecting to MIT Multics was also possible, via a
3270 emulator, but again, most undergrduates didn't have access,
although MIT's Student Information Processing Board could give out
limited accounts for undergraduates to experiment with Multics.)

		     		       		  - Ted