[TUHS] UNIX/TS 4.x Findings

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Feb 10 13:07:45 AEST 2023

On Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 6:30 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> The more I look at things, the more 5.0 appears to actually be a minor
> release compared to what all was going on in the 4.x era.  From 4.1 to 5.0

So let's look at release dates:

4.2BSD released August 1983
4.3BSD released May 1986

System V released sometime in 1983 (so TS 5.0 was 1982 by convention?)

5.0 felt like a minor release... (even after TS 4.2) Sure sounds like it
was rebranded to 5.0 to avoid confusion with 4.2BSD which was released
around... as well as to have a '.0' zero feel to it but neatly avoiding
that by calling it V...

Anybody here know for sure? I have a vague memory of Dr McKusick mentioning
this off hand in one of his informal talks or maybe it was over dinner at a
conference...

Warner