[TUHS] [COFF] Re: Help needed with some old VAX Machines (moved from TUHS)

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Feb 23 17:37:11 AEST 2023

Hi!

On Wed, 2023-02-22 19:41:35 +0000, segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:
> COFF transfer, TUHS Bcc'd to know where this thread went.

Not yet subscribed there, sorry. But on the way!

> If you're feeling particularly adventurous, NetBSD still supports VAX in some manner: http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/vax/

I regularly build NetBSD HEAD (on NetBSD amd64 and also as a
cross-build from Linux amd64). Sometimes (rarely) I start it on
regular desktop VAX hardware, and always in SIMH. Works well!

> YMMV, but I've had some success with NetBSD on some pretty oddball stuff.  As the old saying goes, "Of course it runs NetBSD".  You might be able to find some old VMS stuff for them as well, but I wouldn't know where to point you other than bitsavers.  There's some other archival site out there with a bunch of old DEC stuff but I can never seem to find it when I search for it, only by accident.  Best of luck!

Many pkgsrc packages are missing due to compiler bugs in the GCC
version that NetBSD ships. However, Maciej recently did some great
work on GCC's VAX backend and that will fix most of the issues. Right
now, it usually helps to have CFLAGS+=-O0 to not run into issues.

MfG, JBG