[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:58:12 AEST 2023

> On Jan 3, 2023, at 6:37 PM, Bakul Shah <bakul at iitbombay.org> wrote:
>
> I write shell one liners all the time[1].
>
> Go is just too verbose for scripting.  I use it for larger programs but typically these don't start out as shell scripts.
>
> [1] In fact I use find (or zsh's **/*),  xargs, grep, sort, uniq, field picking often enough that I wish they were built-in a shell but  I haven't figured out a simple syntax for it as yet.

I was 50 years old before I learned that sort has a -u, so I could have saved the pipe-through-uniq step.

I also keep getting told grep has a -r but my finger macros won't stop typing find . -name \*.py | xargs ...

(And yes, it's GNU find just about everywhere, so I can do -print0 | xargs -0 and not have to get fancy with the -I)

But also, crap, it was 25, count 'em, 25 years ago that a friend looked at my workflow and said "I've never seen anyone use a GUI just as a way to keep a dozen terminal windows open side by side before."

Adam