[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 01:19:52 AEST 2023

Hi Adam,

> Bakul Shah wrote:
> > In fact I use find (or zsh's **/*)

bash(1) also has ‘**’ if ‘shopt -s globstar’.

> I was 50 years old before I learned that sort has a -u, so I could
> have saved the pipe-through-uniq step.

Did you never have a Unix with fine man pages to read?  :-)  Before info(1).
Or ‘The Unix Programming Environment’ mentions sort(1)'s -u on page 106.

> I also keep getting told grep has a -r but my finger macros won't stop
> typing find . -name \*.py | xargs ...

‘... **/*.py’ using the ‘**’ Bakul mentions above.

> (And yes, it's GNU find just about everywhere, so I can do -print0 |
> xargs -0 and not have to get fancy with the -I)

A lot of the time, POSIX find's ‘-exec foo {} +’ suffices and runs
foo with as many arguments as will just fit under argv[]s limits,
like xargs by default and unlike find's one-at-a-time behaviour with
‘-exec foo {} \;’.

> "I've never seen anyone use a GUI just as a way to keep a
>  dozen terminal windows open side by side before."

Clearly, you're a trendsetter.  :-)  Tiling window managers are popular,
e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I3_(window_manager)

--
Cheers, Ralph.