[TUHS] AIX moved into maintainance mode

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 10:54:00 AEST 2023

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 9:20 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Pretty unrealistic to expect the users to suddenly have the time to do
> kernel dev.  Solaris opened sourced itself and it's dead.

That one's not entirely on the users.

There's plenty of blame for Oracle as well.

I was the person nominally in charge of the OpenSolaris port to z (Neale
Ferguson did most of the heavy lifting) when Sine Nomine built it, having
read the tea leaves and believing that IBM would buy Sun.  And then IBM
tightened the screws a little too far and Larry Ellison grabbed it
instead.  Dammit.

OpenSolaris development had been pretty lively, but then Oracle made it
clear they didn't have any interest in keeping it alive.  Illumos did its
best.

Adam