[TUHS] The death of general purpose computers, was - AIX moved into maintainance mode

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:30:38 AEST 2023

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 at 21:10, segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> The idea that I can fully pay for and own a device and yet generally have to exploit some sort of security loophole or backdoor developer feature to actually use the device fully is completely asinine to me.

I recently reviewed a Murena 1 that might tick some of your boxes:

https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/02/murena_e_foundation_phone_test/

De-Googled Android, sends nothing back to anyone, but can run off the
shelf Android apps.

If even that is too much, then there are other options. I am
considering buying a 2nd Planet Computers Gemini in order to run Jolla
Sailfish on it.

I would also rather like some used Google Pixel or something that I
could put Ubuntu Touch on. Work continues even though Canonical
cancelled it 5 or 6 years ago, and it's getting there. I've seen in
the flesh demos at the Ubuntu Summit here in Prague last November,
including one version of UT running a newer version inside a VM, on a
JingPad tablet.

Or PostmarketOS if you prefer a more DIY experience, perhaps on a
FairPhone or a PinePhone.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053