[TUHS] Setting up an X Development Environment for Mac OS

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Sat Jan 28 00:08:13 AEST 2023

On 1/26/23 11:07 PM, Will Senn wrote:
> but I really don't know nothing about NeXT, it's boxes, or what I'm really
> wondering about - its relationship with unix (although I'm pretty sure
> there is one). I know that Sun was working with them on OpenStep and
> OpenStep and the NeXT cube were predecessors to my favorite contemporary
> system (my Mac), but that's about it. So, how does NeXT fit into the unix
> world? And was it all that? I remember after talking to them that I really,
> really wanted one...

NeXTs were really nice boxes. The environment was basically Mach + 4.3BSD +
Display Postscript + Objective C + the libraries and frameworks that became
macOS Carbon and Cocoa + their GUI. I had one for a while, and wish I still
did for old times' sake.

NeXT was Steve Jobs's company, and Apple acquired them to make the NeXT OS
the basis of MacOS X. That is a very interesting story itself.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/