[TUHS] [off-topic] Anyone still using USENET?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Jan 28 02:05:31 AEST 2023

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 09:24:03AM +0000, Ron Natalie wrote:
> Nothing on it but spam and porn now unfortunately.   Such a shame.    About
> the closest I???ve come to the sense of the old USENET is reddit.

Reddit is sort of a centralized Usenet with voting.  In the old days,
centralized would have never worked but it works now.  If you can live
with the fact that Reddit has a lot of echo chamber stuff going on,
it's quite pleasant.

Reddit is my primary news source these days and I wade through a lot of
random stuff there.  There is a lot of noise but once in a while some
cancer thing will come up, I take a look at the comments, there will be
an actual oncologist / cancer researcher in there who will say "yeah,
this is in the lab only, not tested on humans, not interesting for at
least 10-20 years" or, rarely, "this is very promising".  For the latter,
you go off and read the article.